What’s a water bug and where are they coming from?

When people in say, “Water Bug” they usually mean either the American Cockroach or the Oriental Cockroach. The American Cockroach is also known as the “Palmetto Bug.” Both are large cockroaches that invade homes. They are usually invaders, not infesters—they come into residential units to get food or water, but most likely lay their eggs and spend most of their time elsewhere. Usually they come from sewers, basements, compactor rooms, or shrubs and mulch outside. Like mice, they get in through cracks in the foundation, gaps under doors, and unscreened windows.

Fill holes, use screens, and keep a 2-foot pest-free strip around the building by trimming branches, aiming drainage away from the building, and making sure mulch doesn’t touch the foundation. To prevent cockroaches from coming in through drains, cover sink and shower drains when not in use.